Feliz Cumpleaños Frida

"I suffered two grave accidents in my life…One in which a streetcar knocked me down and the other was Diego."
Magdalena Carmen Frieda Kahlo y Calderón (July 6, 1907 - July 13, 1954)


Frida Kahlo and Diego Rivera, 1932



Frida Kahlo suffered lifelong health problems, many of which stemmed from a traffic accident in her teenage years. These issues are reflected in her works, more than half of which are self-portraits of one sort or another. Kahlo suggested, "I paint myself because I am so often alone and because I am the subject I know best."  
She also stated, "I was born a bitch. I was born a painter."

At 22 she married the famous Mexican muralist Diego Rivera, 20 years her senior. Their stormy, passionate relationship survived infidelities, the pressures of careers, divorce, remarriage, Frida's bi-sexual affairs, her poor health and her inability to have children. Frida once said:"I suffered two grave accidents in my life…One in which a streetcar knocked me down and the other was Diego." The streetcar accident left her crippled physically and Rivera crippled her emotionally.

Her last diary entry read: "I hope the end is joyful - and I hope never to return - Frida.".